Aldi: Home of the Cheap Healthy Snack?

I've been a shopper at Aldi for a couple of years now. Initially introduced by a friend who has sadly died, I'm grateful he practically forced me through the doors because otherwise I would have continued to pay ludicrous prices for things of inferior or the same quality. 

Since attempting to live a more plant based life style, I've been hyper aware of the ingredients in certain products, and I've been actively looking for "snacks" that are vegetarian friendly. 

My current two favourite things in the world to snack on that aren't "fruit or veg", are fruit and veg based crisps and bars! They are called Passion Deli's Pea Snacks, and Paeleo bars. 

The Pea Snacks are quite simply divine. They come in three different flavours that I've seen so far - Salt and Vinegar, Chilli and Lime, and Sweet Chilli - and each one of them are delicious. My absolute favourite of the three is Salt and Vinegar. For the sceptic who can't believe peas as crisps is a good idea, I would seriously give these a go over the other flavours first. Do you remember chip sticks?? They are EXACTLY like them except not greasy, gluten free, and just nicer in general. 

I can see them being brilliant for kids. The wrappers are really pretty and inviting. The best bit anyway is the price. For a bag it's 39p. The only real alternative I found in Tesco was a smaller bag for 70p. Apparently they are also coming in multi bags soon - Aldi have promised! You can already get the two other flavours in multi bags. I have of courses bought many ;-)

They're such healthy alternatives to actual crisps, particularly being under 100 calories. I wonder if I ate 80g of them, it would be classed as one of my 5 a day.......?

The other snack is the Foodie Market Paleo bars. Once again, suitable for vegetarians and so very much moreish. These are admittedly much higher in fat but that's "good" fats from the nuts. These come in two flavours I've seen - Brazil Nut and Cherry, and Macadamia and Coconut. Hands down my favourite is the Brazil Nut but that's not to say the Macadamia isn't lovely. 

Gluten free like the pea snaps and apparently only made with four natural ingredients. When I get the urge for a chocolate bar or something, I will have one of these or I'll treat myself to a cup of tea and one when I'm relaxing. You get 5 bars for £1.99. When you compare that to Eat Naturals nut and fruit bars, you're looking at paying £1.99 for 3 bars. For the same price you're getting an extra 2 bars. NakD are even more expensive! The only real competitive alternative are from Jordans, but theirs is rammed with other ingredients and preservatives. 

Long story short, I would hugely recommend Passions Deli Pea Snacks in Salt and Vinegar, and The Foodie Markets Paelo Bars in Brazil Nut and Cherry.  

If there are any other Aldi snackable products you think I should try, tell me about them in the comments. OR if there are other supermarkets home brands which are of equal goodness and price, let me know what they are and I'll try them out. 

Speak to you soon. 

Bear 

Comments

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews